Hohentwiel Fortress

You are here: Monuments & Heritage Sites  >  Building Heritage & Archaeological Sites  >  Fortifications & Seigneurial Buildings Incl. Castles
Hohentwiel Fortress
INMF Donation Continue the offer acceptance Back to the overview Questions for the offeror All offers of the offeror
Offer No. 329
Minimum amount
10.00 €

We are entitled to issue donation receipts admissible in Germany. The legal recognition in other countries may vary.

Local position

78224 Singen (Hohentwiel)

Country & region

Germany
> Baden-Württemberg [Land / state]
> Konstanz [Landkreis / county]

Offeror

International Friends´ Association for the Natural and Cultural Heritage (IFANCH)

Non-profit organisation / non-profit company

All offers of the offeror

Description

Hohentwiel Fortress is a former Württemberg state fortress, which was created on top of Hohentwiel Hill, a volcanic plug in the Hegau region, in the 16th century AD.
In German, Hohentwiel Fortress is referred to as “Festung Hohentwiel”.
The fortress developed from a hilltop castle, which was already built in the 10th century AD and, afterwards, was continuingly used.
The fortified castle was converted into a renaissance castle in the 16th century AD.
Finally, an expansion in a fortress-like manner took place from the 16th to the 18th century AD.
During this period of time, there were several unsuccessful sieges of the fortress, in particular, during the Thirty Years´ War (1618-1648).
As of 1658, the fortress was used as a Württemberg state prison, and served as the last refuge for the ducal family of Württemberg.
Admittedly, the state fortress lost more and more of its military significance in the second half of the 18th century, nevertheless, its use continued.
However, after the garrison of the fortress had conceded victory to advancing French troops in the year 1800, during the so-called War of the Second Coalition (1798/99–1801/02), the fortress was razed in 1801 and, since then, it has been a fortress ruin.
The preserved remains of Hohentwiel Fortress are spread over the so-called "lower fortress" and the "upper fortress", which is located on an elevated terrain.
The upper fortress includes the remains of the so-called "Herzogsburg”, which means “ducal castle”. It represents the remains of the Renaissance castle built in the 16th century AD.
Moreover, the remains of the so-called “Rondell Augusta”, a stonewalled round tower with a diameter of 25 m, as well as the remnants of other structures and facilities that are typical for fortresses are also noteworthy.
Measures concerning the opening of the fortress complex for visitors were carried out approximately after the middle of the 19th century AD.
Physical safeguarding measures and restoration work began in the 20th century AD, which have continued to this day.
The destabilisation of the masonry by physical or biological weathering (mortar leaching, frost wedging, root wedging, etc.) poses a challenge in the physical safeguarding of the fortress ruin, but also the danger that masonry may slip off.
Therefore, donations are meant to contribute to the preservation, restoration or renovation of Hohentwiel Fortress as well as of the structures, architectural elements and features that exist there or used to exist there.
The support of projects from the field of science and research that are focused on these goals is included as well.
In addition, measures or facilities serving for visitor information or visitor orientation can also be supported.

Legal information of the offeror

e.g., imprint (impressum), cancellation policy,
general terms and conditions of business,
organisational statutes, privacy policy,
etc. of the offeror

YouTube video

 
 
Filter the search results
Offers within a specific distance

Offers within a specific country / region
User group